Geet: The Girl a Nation Loved

 

https://akm-img-a-in.tosshub.com/indiatoday/kareena-story_647_113017031857.jpg?feBXreazTGj.U0WCN1w2W4_o1jvA6kK4

Till today, even after complex heart-wrenching movies like Tamasha, Jab We Met, the funny and endearing romance remains Imitiaz Ali's best work. Most of the credit for the insane popular appeal of the movie goes to our favorite sikhni from Bhatinda Geet Dhillon.  When the movie released in 2007. Geet was all everyone could talk about. The clothes she wore became a fashion statement, her hook steps a regular in every sangeet. After a long time in Indian Cinema, a female character enjoyed the love and adoration of the entire country. 

Geet Dhillon was not the kind of woman, you'd expect Indian audiences to like. She spoke too much to even accidentally come across as shy, swore like a sailor, talked incessantly about herself to strange men she met on trains, and most importantly, she put herself first. She was as diametrically opposed to the concept of a "good girl" in India as one could be. She also commits the greatest sin, a woman can in a Bollywood movie ie love someone other than the hero of the movie.

Most of the time in Indian cinema, we are told that the girl rejecting our Hero is doing one of two things:

  • Saying No when she means Yes. (Uski na mein uski Han hai.) - In this case, the Hero just needs to stalk her some more, maybe hire some goons to fake assault her or ask for her hand in marriage from her father.
  • Being an Ungrateful person. (not exactly the word people would use.) How can she not fall for her Hero? He has been so nice to her? He took her back home safely, he did this,he did that blah blah blah. Indian audiences have always been led to believe that women owe men who are nice to them, a relationship.

Geet Dhillon doesn't love our Hero, because she chose someone else over him. She rejects him and he actually accepts. He helps us elope from her house, accepts her rejection, and moves on with his life. This is very uncharacteristic of a Bollywood hero. But, Geet's character makes it look natural and realistic.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cb/8d/7a/cb8d7a84abf54c485c02939fbe141482.gif

With her iconic line "Main Apni Favourite Hoon", Geet taught us self-love before it was cool. She taught all the young girls across the country, that it was okay for them to be a little selfish. Even with all these great qualities, Geet could easily have turned out to become a regular Manic Pixie Dream Girl. As Nathan Rabin describes it, the MPDG is "that bubbly, shallow cinematic creature that exists solely in the fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures." But, Imitiaz Ali inverted this trope even before it became one.  Although our bubbly girl does help our broody guy live a little more, the story doesn't end there. Geet is not a one-dimensional character that exists to move Aditya's story forward. The story is as much hers as it is his. While most people love Geet for her larger-than-life personality, it is the second half of her character that makes her so endearing to me.

https://biprodfinal3.imgix.net/images/36e7bf87-5be1-486f-86c4-69d71c20b151-banner.jpg?dpr=1&fit=fill

She is scared, broken, and lonely. She fell in love with the wrong person and suffered and is now a changed person. This pain and growth make her character feel human and you can't help but fall in love with her. When Geet is discovered by Aditya in the second half of the movie, she is a shell of the person, she once was. The realities of life have hit her hard and she has lost the naivety she once possessed. This the moment at which, she truly becomes relatable. 

Imitiaz Ali through Geet tells us that with our immense freedom to make our own choices, come a lot of consequences. The way Geet slowly recovers and bounces back is an excellent example of bouncing back from seemingly life-ruining mistakes and start again. The Geet we see in the second half is less carefree than her previous self and it is a good thing. While instincts are powerful, sometimes they do and will fail us. This doesn't mean we should stop listening to them. It just means that we need to fail.

Geet Dhillon is one of the most human characters I have seen in Indian cinema, who is allowed to exist in her own skin, make mistakes, take her own decisions, and when her choices go wrong, pay terribly for them. We see her laugh, cry, swear, dance, love, and grow. And with her, we do too.

Comments

  1. It is one of my favorite too. Agreed that she is a new character compared to the characters made in Hindi cinema before her..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jab We Met was one of my favorite movies too. The character of Geet Dhillon is really endearing. In addition Shahid kapoor does a good job of accepting her choice and goes his way in that scene when she goes her way looking for her love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geet's character is unforgettable, can watch the movie again and again

    ReplyDelete
  4. One Of My favourite movie and favourite character. As I am very fond of reminding hubby dearest, "Main Apni Favourite hoon"!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've lost count of the number of times i've seen this movie. It's one of the rare hindi movies which I can recite verbatim! And after reading your post , i feel like watching it all over again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love Geet. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was one of my favorite movie too and I loved Geet. Your post made me nostalgic and now want to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yes! Geet is one of the few relatable and realistic characters from the Hindi cinema. And I can't go a day without quoting one or two dialogues from this movie. Nicely interpreted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You echoed my thoughts about Geet... She is a treat to watch... People will find fault in her characterization if given the options... Gender can also be put forth... But for me she is just a human character possessing both positive and negative traits and someone who owns her mistakes and learn from them! Wonderfully written post...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so true! I completely agree with you. Geet is one of my favourite characters too and I love this film. She was just so bubbly and effervescent. Reading this brought back many favourite moments from the movie to my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! I'm loving the way you write and express yourself. Glad i joined alexa so i could discover blogs like yours!
    Loved the movie amd Geet for most of the reasons you put forth. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite movies too.. and that dialog is best. I like your interpretion of the situation. never thougt like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favourite character from my favourite movie. This post is tribute. Very well done. Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I believe she was much more relatable than the perfect cinema heroine to Indian girls..and we fell in love with Feet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Geet is a one of a kind character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh even I loved this character who is so bindas and so full of life who doesnt bother about her actions and knows how to live life to the fullest

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this movie for the sheer reason of Geet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wao , that was such a beautiful penned down blog. I loved reliving the character & ended up reloving it too. I do hope we keep the Geet inside us alive for better & for worse.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wao , that was such a beautiful penned down blog. I loved reliving the character & ended up reloving it too. I do hope we keep the Geet inside us alive for better & for worse.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used to idolise this character too. After growing up I realise she is slightly lunatic too 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was one of my favorite movies of its time and the whole credit goes to Geet's character who showed us how to live life and self love is not that bad. Great post, loved how you have explained Geet's character here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Undoubtedly Jab We Met is every girls favorite movie. And the way Geet unfolds the realities of life is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Geet wow one of my favorite character too, her night dress became trend among girls, her dialogue " Mein apni Favorite hu" is the core of movie. Awesome movie and character geet.

    Archana Srivastava
    archusblog

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have shared a beautiful take on Geet. Indeed she has portrayed a very realistic character who is very human, makes mistakes, pays for it n bounces back. No doubt she got praised for it by the audience coz they could somewhere connect with the reality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  25. One reason why I love this character is because she was totally unapologetic. Life isn't easy , but we can make it feel easy with how we look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really enjoyed reading your post. The other titles also seem intriguing. Very well written. And of course Geet has been a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like geet character and I think she is very lively and innocent ,pure heart.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved the movie and the character too. Have watched the movie multiple times may be because of Geet. Lovely description of the character nd life lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Agree with you , it's good to learn self love in a different way :) and yes this is one of my favorite movie .

    ReplyDelete
  30. I swear, just loved her and like her main apni fav hoon !!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I didn’t knew Geet surname until now.

    Every girl wanted to b like Geet. Loved the character so much.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I loved reading your post about Geet more than I loved Geet! You've given so much thought into why she was how she was and you are right on all counts. What a refreshing read this was. Thank you for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Geet's character was such a pleasant surprise! She's vocal, refreshingly self
    -obsessed and makes you love her for it. I'm not a Kareena fan but loved her portrayal of this sikhni. Shahid Kapoor deserves credit for his underplayed acting too. Boy, was he a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I too loved that character when I watched the movie over a decade ago. Your post gave me some beautiful nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is one of my favorite movie. I still watch the movie when it comes on TV. Nice post. Loved reading it. You done quite a bit of analysis, which is evident from your writing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's one of my favorite movies too and yes I totally loved her concept of "Mein apni fav hoon"

    Ruchi Nasa https://thevagabond.me

    ReplyDelete
  37. Geet surely has been a favourite with one and all. Liked the way your post revolves around her.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Brought back a lot of Shimla memories for me

    ReplyDelete
  39. "Main Apni Favourite Hoon" is my favourite line after the movie. Truly, love Geet and can watch it every time it comes on TV

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is one of my happy to watch movies, Geet's portrayal was amazing. You were so right, she taught us to be in love with yourself. I really like Kareen'a acting in this movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Grey's character arc started out so well. But did you know that she's an example of a Manic pixie dream girl whose sole purpose is to give meaning to the male character? Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a perspective I came across recently. It's good to know I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!

      I have already explained in the blog how Geet is not a Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Hope you find the explanations satisfactory. Would love to hear your viewpoint on her.

      Delete
  42. One of m y favourite characters from one of my favourite movie. Geet is surely remembered for a lot of reasons as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  43. She is my favourite too.. love watching Jab We Met just for Geet.. love ur post

    ReplyDelete
  44. Absolutely loved that character and kareena did complete justice to it. #tmmreads

    ReplyDelete
  45. Manisha - Its one of my all time favourite movies. The first time me and Mom saw this she said you are Geet version in our home. The only character of Kareena I think I really love.

    ReplyDelete
  46. She is an iconic character and every girl's favorite

    ReplyDelete
  47. I resonate with your thoughts :). Geet redefined the way Indian heroines are portrayed in Indian Cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I started liking Kareena after watching her in Jab we met. Geet is one of the iconic characters of Indian Cinema. One which will stay in hearts of cinema goers for long.

    ReplyDelete
  49. If I can identify Kareena Kappor it is with Poo in "KBKG" and Geet in "Jab we met". Her character as Geet was identifiable as a trusting, innocent but determined young girl in the first half of the movie and a sober, heart broken girl in the second half. Her portrayal was unique and quite extraordinary reflecting different shades to her personality. It was a dream role, one that she played to her very best.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I just watched jab we met for the 100th time yesterday and still love the character of geet with all my heart

    ReplyDelete
  51. I watched Jab we met multiple times as she is just awesome... sometimes I see my reflection in her.

    ReplyDelete
  52. This is one movie you can watch again and again. Geet did seem over the top, but that is how the character was.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Well, this is surely one of my all time favourite movies. Geet was a character that never existed before in Bollywood and will ever match in future! With her flaws she made that character so relatable & lovable that , just the name Geet is historic now!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Be harsh with your feedback and generous with your praise.

Popular Posts